I just discovered (the unashamedly left wing) Library Juice Press. After several incarnation it is a now a blog. I went through the last ten entries in its Intellectual Freedom category. Amongst other issues it tries to provide a moral approach to the Danish cartoon issue:
We need to address the collection development and access issues around this affair, but we also need to reflect on what else we might do as actors in civil society. The American Library Association Council has passed resolutions to lobby against torture and for withdrawing troops from Iraq.
On one hand the author stands up for freedom of press, but on the other hand he urges social responsibility in other areas. While I agree with both of his points, but fail to see the connection. Furthermore I think it is a dangerous logical fallacy to connect two independent issues. I acknowledge that there is similarity between US actions in the Muslim world and the publication of the cartoons that were disrespectful to Muhammad. Namely that both angered the (sensibilities of) Muslims.
However from my point of view they are not in the same category. The first is physically harming the population, while the second is an intellectual issue. I think the solutions to these problems should be in the same level where they originated from.I want to make sure that my notes above are not taken as apologetic about the cartoon publications. I think it was unwise to do so. I respect the Muslim religion and would not want to mock any people for their beliefs. I personally would have not published those drawings. But I also acknowledge that people have the right to publish what they want. I draw the line at hate speech. These drawing, while disrespectful, did not merit that label in my opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment